Access Canberra is investigating almost 200 possible cases of shoddy building work on Canberra construction sites, it has been revealed.
In the past nine months, the regulator has also dished out 139 demerit points to construction licence holders and issued a rectification order at a multi-unit housing block in Canberra's north.
Minister for Building Quality Improvement Gordon Ramsay revealed the statistics during a speech in the Legislative Assembly on Thursday, during which he also outlined the next phase in the rollout of the government's building quality reforms.
Industry groups and trade experts have heavily criticised the government's apparently lax approach to regulating building quality in the ACT, claiming it was partly responsible for the problems plaguing developments across Canberra.
In its submission to the assembly's building quality inquiry, the government conceded that its regulatory regime had in the past failed to prevent serious breaches of construction laws.
But Mr Ramsay said the government was taking "strong action when it needs to" against companies responsible for poor quality, or illegal, work.
He referred to a recent case in which inspectors temporarily shut down 17 building sites in Gungahlin because of non-compliant work.
"Builders continue to be held to account for their actions," he said.
"In many cases, builders have had to not only rectify works, but lose time on site while rectification works were carried out."
Mr Ramsay said Access Canberra was actively investigating 187 cases of alleged breaches of ACT building and planning laws.
He said the agency's new rapid complaints management team had resolved 191 cases since it was established in July last year.
The team is tasked with responding to building-related complaints within five days, and works with all parties to have problems resolved without issuing formal penalties to developers and contractors.
Six cases triggered further investigation, resulting in contractors being asked to explain why sanctions should not be imposed.
Mr Ramsay said the government would in May start "targeted" consultation on a new code of practice for builders and building surveyors, as part of the next stage of its building regulation reforms.
The government has committed to acting on 28 of 43 proposed measures by the end of the financial year, including introducing a new auditing system for building projects and an alternative dispute resolution process.
The full suite of reforms is scheduled for implementation by the end of the parliamentary term - almost two years later than the original delivery date promised by the Barr government.
Government bureaucrats last year said the challenge of recruiting suitably qualified staff was partly to blame for the lengthy delays.