Just a day after it was brought into the capital under cover of darkness, Canberra's first tram has been vandalised.
The shiny new light rail carriage was shipped over from Spain last month and then given a police escort into the capital in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
But, on Thursday, authorities confirmed the tram had been "targeted by graffiti vandals" that same night.
The ACT government was expected to unofficially unveil the tram in the coming weeks, the first of 14 slated to run on the 12km city to Gungahlin corridor.
Canberra Metro chief executive Glenn Stockton called the vandalism disappointing.
"Of greater concern is that members of the community have accessed a live construction site, which puts them and others at risk," he said.
A spokeswoman for Transport Canberra and City Services said Canberra Metro had security controls in place to restrict public access to its construction sites.
The graffiti was to be removed from the tram on Thursday afternoon.
The government is spending $65 million on the fleet, with the light rail set to come online in late 2018. Each tram is 33 metres long with a capacity to carry 207 people.
A video of the first tram leaving Spain for a seven-week journey to Australia was posted on YouTube in November.
Do you know more? Get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org