Truck drivers will not collect rubbish from homes and businesses in the inner-north on Friday as they continue to campaign for better pay and conditions.
The drivers, employed by government contractor Suez and represented by the Transport Workers Union, walked off the job on Monday and Tuesday in Canberra's south from Weston Creek to Tuggeranong.
This extended strike action means catch-up services will not go ahead in southern suburbs with residents encouraged to take their own trash to temporary drop-off sites.
Michael Trushell, the ACT government's waste collection spokesman, called on residents to prepare for further industrial action and consider contingency plans.
He said temporary tips would be created for inner north residents to dispose their rubbish with free access between 6am to 8pm. The locations will be announced on Wednesday.
The drivers have legal access to protected industrial action until June 8 with government officials warning of further industrial action in coming weeks.
"By minimising the amount of waste created, people may be able to help their friends, family or neighbours by offering them any room they have in their bin to dispose of excess waste," Mr Trushell said.
On Tuesday, Transport Minister Meegan Fitzharris called on the Suez management to resolve the industrial dispute with the union as soon as possible.
"Due to the large number of suburbs impacted by the action this week, catch up collection services will not be possible," she said. "This is disappointing and I urge both parties to come back to the negotiating table as soon as possible."
Residents are also allowed to drop off two large garbage bags of household waste for free at the Mitchell and Mugga Lane Resource Management Centres until Sunday.
Last week, Suez's ACT manager Jason Stewart said he did not believe further strike action was necessary as it could see "waste left in the streets for over a week".