A Jamie Maclaren hat-trick has left Australian coach Graham Arnold with a selection headache as the Socceroos eye their next target on the qualifying road to Qatar.
Arnold is expected to make seven or eight changes for their next World Cup qualifier against Chinese Teipei in Kaohsiung on Tuesday.
Maclaren's maiden international hat-trick played set up the Socceroos' 5-0 thrashing of Nepal at Canberra Stadium on Thursday night, but Arnold wouldn't confirm whether the Melbourne City striker will start in the No.9 jersey next week.
The Socceroos kicked off their qualifying campaign with a 3-0 win over Kuwait before bagging another five against the Nepalese, but Arnold is still searching for more strike power.
Maclaren is locked in a battle with Adam Taggart and Apostolos Giannou to become Arnold's first-choice striker and played an impressive 90 minutes in Canberra.
The 26-year-old had scored just one goal in 13 international appearances leading into the game but stepped up in front of 18,563 fans at Canberra Stadium.
MORE CANBERRA SPORT
"It's been one of those things I've always waited for and believed I could do," Maclaren said.
"I've always looked in the mirror, asking if I'm good enough. I always knew I had been but it takes a [match] like [this qualifier] when everything goes your way.
"When you've got a coach who believes in you, you just walk out on the pitch and feel free.
"Arnie pulled me aside and said 'you're great. You're going to go out there and score goals.' Then at halftime he said 'you're going to get that third and I'm going to keep you on until you do.'
"He kept his word so that's all a striker can ask for. He believes in me and I'm just trying to repay the favour."
Arnold's selection choices for the Nepal clash were largely influenced by the arrival times of players in the capital.
Taggart, who started at striker for the Socceroos' opening qualifier against Kuwait, was rested after playing two full matches for Suwon Bluewings in the South Korean K-League within the past week.
"The main reason [Taggart] didn't get involved [on Thursday night] was around the fact that last Wednesday night he played 120 minutes in the FA Cup in South Korea," Arnold said.
"Then played another 90 minutes on Sunday and didn't arrive until Tuesday morning so he's a little bit tired.
"We've got those options and that's what we've been building over the last 12 months. Taggart is 100 per cent ready to go against Taiwan and so are another eight fresh players."
But towering Scot Harry Souttar could also be Australia's answer to be 'ruthless' in front of goal as the Socceroos look to qualify for their fifth consecutive World Cup.
The Scottish-born defender used his giant six-foot-six frame to bag a brace on his Socceroos debut at Canberra Stadium.
His 24th minute strike gave Souttar the fastest goal for a Socceroos debutant since Aaron Mooy's effort in December of 2012.
His deflected header in the second half, which officially went down as an own goal to Dinesh Rajbanshi, put the cherry on top of the cake.
"It was amazing, the look on my face was just sheer emotion after the first goal went in," Souttar said.
"You can't really describe what it's like. It was something I really wasn't expecting because I came in just trying to keep a clean sheet to get the three points.
"I just want to be known as a defender who keeps a cleansheet and everything else is a bonus, but it was nice to grab a couple [of goals]."
Souttar represented Scotland at under-17 and under-19 levels but pledged his allegiance to the Socceroos earlier this year.
The 20-year-old defender qualifies for the Socceroos through his Australian-born mother Heather and said it was a "no-brainer" to switch his allegiances once approached by the FFA.
"[My debut] was a very proud moment for me and for my mum as well," Souttar said.
"My brother plays for Scotland but it was a natural decision for me as soon as [the FFA] got in contact.
"My mum spoke about Australia when I was growing up, so growing up in that environment made it a natural decision."