The ACT government has committed support to an extension of out-of-home care for young Canberrans who wish to remain in care until they are 21, but have overruled an opposition push for a taskforce into the matter.
A motion from the Canberra Liberals to extend out-of-home care was put forward to the territory's parliament on Tuesday.
Opposition spokeswoman for families Elizabeth Kikkert called on the government to commit in-principle to support the extension, including for those exiting residential care and those unable to remain in foster care.
Mrs Kikkert also called for a taskforce to review how out-of-home care had been extended internationally, to propose the best way to do this.
Families Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith put forward an amended motion that committed in-principle to the extension of care to 21 for any young person who wished to remain in a supported care environment.
But instead of a taskforce, Ms Stephen-Smith said the government would explore options that current opt-in arrangements automatically extended to young Canberrans in care.
Currently, the government allows for young people and carers to opt-in if they wish to continue care beyond 18 years old. Carers can also receive a subsidy for those over 18.
But Mrs Kikkert said she had heard from stakeholders that current policies had not been fully implemented and there were too many barriers.
"In preparation for this motion. I have spoken at length with stakeholders, service providers, Aboriginal elders and former care and protection workers and young people who have exited care," she said.
"The consensus is that we are failing kids and carers and clearly not doing enough."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: