Racing is back in Canberra in time for the Melbourne Cup. And there's a chance up to 1000 race goers will be allowed to dust off their frocks, fascinators and suits and head to Thoroughbred Park.
The ACT government's further easing of restrictions on Tuesday has allowed enough essential workers from NSW, like jockeys and TV crew, to enter Canberra and allow racing to return for the first Tuesday in November.
Previously, country NSW-based jockeys travelled too far afield - and outside of Canberra's border bubble - to be allowed to enter the ACT.
Canberra Racing were working on a submission to maximise the number of punters allowed trackside on November 2.
It's unlikely a crowd of more than 1000 would be allowed - a restriction that could stand until the end of November - with an exemption required for gatherings of more than 500 people.
Canberra Racing chief executive Andrew Clark said preference would be given to horse owners and members.
A crowd of 667 was allowed at last year's Melbourne Cup meet in Canberra.
Canberra Racing has led a nomadic existence since the ACT went into lockdown, being forced to switch their meetings to Queanbeyan since early August.
They'll still have to hold Thursday's meet there, but will return in time for one of their biggest days of the year.
They've been given an extra race too, expanding the day out to nine races.
Clark was thankful to Queanbeyan for helping them during the past two months.
"Racing will be back at Thoroughbred Park on Melbourne Cup Day," he said.
"It's a huge boost for the Canberra trainers and the Canberra Racing Club more broadly.
"The opportunity to race at home is always what we've been striving for.
"We're extremely thankful to Racing NSW and Queanbeyan Racing Club for helping us through such a difficult period ... but there's nothing like racing at home."
MORE CANBERRA SPORT
Now Clark will work with the government to determine how many people can attend.
He said they would break Thoroughbred Park up into sections to enable as many people as possible through the gates, while keeping jockeys and race officials separated from the public.
"We are discussing that with ACT Health as we speak," Clark said.
"It would be highly likely that we'll divide our course up into different sections to look to maximise the number of people we can have on course safely.
"Our priority, in terms of welcoming people back on course, would go to owners and members of the club who have missed all their opportunities over such a difficult time."