Electric blanket sparks fire inside Weston Creek apartment
Advertisement

Electric blanket sparks fire inside Weston Creek apartment

An electric blanket has sparked a fire inside a Weston Creek apartment.

Emergency services were alerted to the fire at the Stromlo Gardens apartment complex on Hyndes Crescent in Holder just after 8.30pm on Monday.

An electric blanket sparked a fire inside a Weston Creek apartment.

An electric blanket sparked a fire inside a Weston Creek apartment.Credit:ACT Emergency Services Agency

An ACT Emergency Services Agency spokesman said the fire was contained to the unit.

He said residents had evacuated the building before firefighters arrived.

ACT Fire and Rescue sent three pumpers, a breathing apparatus unit, a hazmat unit, an aerial appliance and a commander to the scene.

Firefighters were ventilating the unit block as of about 10pm Monday.

ACT Fire and Rescue has urged the community to only keep bedding on top of active electric blankets and to avoid leaving electric blankets unattended.