The man who crashed his truckload into the Acton Tunnel last year will be charged.
An ACT Policing spokeswoman confirmed this week police had spoken with the driver and would be "progressing with a charge" against him.
Police had not spoken to the man's employer, Queanbeyan-based Charman Earthmoving and Heavy Haulage, she said.
It is understood the charge in relation to the October 20 accident could be laid within a month.
Roads ACT revealed last week it would cost $1.2 million to replace the 80 roof tiles damaged when an excavator loaded onto the back of a truck smashed into the tunnel roof about 10.20am.
That was in addition to the immediate repair costs of $260,000 incurred by Roads ACT to allow the westbound Parkes Way tunnel to reopen after it was closed for two days. Both sums would be covered by insurance.
The closure of the key route was a major disruption during the working week, with about 40,000 vehicles usually travelling through Parkes Way each weekday.
The truck and excavator had earlier cleared the eastbound side of the tunnel.
WorkSafe ACT were also investigating, but an ACT government spokeswoman said last week that "given the nature of the incident, it is more appropriate for ACT Policing to conclude the investigation".
Then Roads Minister Mick Gentleman said in October there was no requirement for the tunnel height – 4.9 metres for the westbound lane – to be signposted, and the driver did not have a required permit for the load.
The earthmoving company disputed a permit was needed.
Government costs of repairs would be covered progressively by the ACT Insurance Authority, who would then identify the liability of any parties for damaging public property and consider making a claim for the final costs against them.
There was no comment from the man's employer this week.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.