Firefighters say it was lucky a Murrumbateman family weren't seriously injured, after a fire broke out in a dryer at a home overnight.
The family was in the lounge room at the time of the incident, when they discovered black smoke coming from the laundry.
Simon McGrath from the Murrumbateman Rural Service said a family member lifted the dryer outside, before the fire was put out with a garden hose.
Mr McGrath said although firefighters weren't called to the incident, it served as a timely reminder not to leave dryers unattended.
"Thank God the family weren't injured, it must have been terrifying," Mr McGath said.
"This is a common occurrence in Australia in winter."
Fire authorities have urged for people to be cautious when using household dryers and make sure there aren't any electrical faults.
"Clean the lint filter every time you use it, and make sure it's in good mechanical order," Mr McGrath said.
"Never leave the dryer on if you're not at home or if you're asleep."