A Canberran who had been banned from driving for life was behind the wheel of a car that crossed to the wrong side of the road, causing a head-on crash that seriously injured three other people, police allege.
The 33-year-old man has been extradited from the ACT to NSW, where he will face eight charges laid over the horror crash a short distance from the territory's northern border.
In a statement on Thursday, NSW Police said emergency services were called to Gundaroo Road in Gunning about 8.45am on December 16 following reports that two Mazda 3 sedans had collided head-on.
It will be alleged that the 33-year-old "failed to negotiate a right-hand bend" in a grey vehicle that smashed into a white car.
Two women who had been travelling in the white Mazda were taken to Canberra Hospital with serious injuries, as were the 33-year-old man and a male passenger who was with him in the grey vehicle.
Following an investigation by officers from the Monaro Police District, the 33-year-old man was extradited from the ACT on Wednesday and taken to Queanbeyan Police Station.
He was charged with eight crimes, including two counts of dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm and one count of negligent driving occasioning grievous bodily harm.
The man was refused police bail and was scheduled to appear in Queanbeyan Local Court on Thursday.
Police said they were still investigating the crash.