The time-honoured tradition of two-up after Anzac Day services is set to return across much of Canberra, one year after some venues hosted virtual editions of the game during last year's COVID-19 lockdown.
Moby Dick's Tavern in Holt will host the game from 12pm to 6pm in its car park, in order to abide by COVID-safe directions.
Manager Nicki Pieroni said organisers were expecting a strong attendance.
"It's in the car park so that there's space for the one-person-per-two-square-metres rule," she said.
"We've got an ACT liquor permit for the car park. There'll be a gazebo and chairs for veterans and all the hot food out there too."
However, not all venues will be hosting two-up, citing concerns about safety restrictions.
Michael Kinniburgh, president of the Canberra Services Club, said his organisation could not "take the risk of policing it".
"Once alcohol is involved, trying to keep people to distance would be a challenge," he said.
"Everyone would be around the table, so we'll probably need 20 security staff there to ensure health directions are met.
"We do it to donate to charities, including the war widows, and for the camaraderie.
"If we can't be together again, then we'll write up in the books that these two years were because of COVID."
An ACT Health spokeswoman said there were no special rules or additional restrictions for venues hosting two-up events on ANZAC Day.
"The current COVID normal public health directions continue to apply," she said.
"We strongly encourage people attending events over the ANZAC Day long weekend to continue COVID-safe practices to assist in keeping loved ones, our veterans and the Canberra community safe and strong.
"This includes maintaining physical distance wherever possible from people not known to you, staying home if unwell and getting tested if you experience any COVID-like symptoms, no matter how mild.
"Canberrans should also continue to practice good hand and respiratory hygiene and most importantly ensure that you check-in to venues using the Check in CBR app for contact tracing purposes."
If people are attending a specific ANZAC Day event with more than 500 people, ACT Health asks all patrons to help venues run a COVID-safe event by following the health and safety instructions in place at the venue.
Gungahlin Lakes Club
- Two-up from 12pm
- All-day dining from 10am
- Live performance of The Last Post
- Live sports on the big screen
- Fundraiser during the day will go towards Soldier On Australia
- No tickets required, but capacity restrictions apply
The George Harcourt Inn
- Two-up from 12pm - 5pm
- Live music from 6pm - 9pm
- Currently fully booked for lunch, but some room has been saved for walk-ins (depending on venue capacity in regards to COVID-19 regulations)
- Only the front entrance will be used, and guests need to check-in with the CBR App
Siren Bar and Restaurant
- Doors open at 5am to commemorate Anzac Day with a live playing of The Last Post
- Gunfire breakfast at 6am
- Two-up from 12pm, raising money for Legacy
- Live music from 6pm
- Live sport on the big screens all day
Canberra Irish Club
- Two-up from 1pm - 6pm
- Limited room capacity
- Club opens from 11.30am, Molly Bloom's bistro open all day from midday
Hellenic Club of Canberra
- Two-up from 12pm - 5pm in the Olympus Room
- Live sport on the big screens
- Two-up from 1pm
- Live music from 3pm
Olims Bar and Bistro
- Gunfire breakfast at 6am and "Canberra's largest outdoor two-up"
Walt and Burley
- Two-up by the lakeside at 2pm
- Special brunch menu
- Dawn service at 6am
- Ten per cent discount to all service personnel
- Two-up in the beer garden from 12pm
- Live acoustic set at 5pm
- Anzac Day AFL bash
- RnB 'Bringing It Back' DJ Lineup from 9pm
- Fundraiser for Legacy
Moby Dick's Tavern
- Two-up from 12pm - 6pm in the car park
- Three breakfast seatings: 6.30am, 8am and 9.30am. Bookings essential
- Go to thepedlar.com.au for further information
Lake George Hotel
- Two-up under the marquee in the beer garden from 10am
- Music by a pipe band
- Meat raffles and face-painting
- Food served all day
Other venues hosting Anzac Day services
- Vikings clubs will host various Anzac Day services
- More at the Vikings' website
Canberra Southern Cross Club
- Veterans wearing their medals will be offered a complimentary meal from the $12 lunch specials menu and a middy of tap beer at Woden, Tuggeranong and Jamison
- Dawn service at 6.30am
- ANZAC Day social bowls from 12.30pm. Names to be in by 12pm
- Breakfast from 6.30am
- Live music in the beer garden from 3pm
- Bookings required
EQ Cafe and Lounge
- Open from 5.30am - 1.30pm
- All-day breakfast menu and limited lunch menu
- Bookings essential due to limited capacity